Friday, January 9, 2009

Brutus' two weeks here :)

Even with a bumpy road and some rash decisions made by me before giving things a chance, things are going very well. I have learned alot with this foster experience.

One is to not make rash decisions.... there were several times, i called the rescue to say I couldnt foster the dog... one reason being how overpowering he is with the little kids - he just doesn't know his own size. He is just being a normal puppy but 85lbs of puppy in a rowhome with too much furniture in it and four kids makes for a crowded area. And any time, Brutus would run around the kids, the 2 yr old was likely to get knocked over or sat on. And then I would crate him and feel guilty for keeping him in his crate while I was home... but he does fine in the crate as I give him stuff to chew on there.

The other bump in the road, was him escaping the front yard fence... he scooted under it. I didnt think an 85lb dog could do it, but he did. I got so nervous and frustrated that he wouldnt come back to me and then I wouldnt be able to let him get his abundance of puppy energy out by letting the dogs play out front, I called the rescue a second time and said, I cant keep him as a foster. The thing is, I just needed some time to cool off and I made the mistake to make the decision while in the heat of the moment. And the rescue offering to take him back, I was taking the lazy way out and told them yeah, please take him.

But after a day to cool off and some suggestions on when he protests what i am telling him by using distraction, things are going much differently. I was getting frustrated with whenever i told him No, that he would jump up on me playfully or grab the leash and play tug of war.. Since he is so big, it was hard for me to handle this... my shoulder felt like it would be pulled out of its socket! I am not that strong! LOL

However, I used the suggestion given to me to give him a toy when he does this. And it works wonders! Yay. And dummy me should have realized this as i have four young kids and do that with them. But I think sleep deprivation, takes away some of my brains or something! lol

Anyway, things are going really well. I am able to keep him in the yard and him and Cali play really well together and get both their energy out. He gets two or three walks a day which he loves. I am able to keep him out of the crate more and more even with the kids around, which is great. Then i dont feel so guilty when he is in there. I am a sucker for dogs, but i do have to realize sometimes its necessary to crate and its not hurting him at all.

So not only am I helping a homeless dog, but I am learning how to handle energetic dogs and that I need to take a breather when I feel overwelmed instead of making phone calls or emails :)

Brutus really is an awesome dog and will make his forever family very happy. As long as they are willing to spend the time training him, he will be a very well behaved yet very energetic dog. He will make you laugh (as he did today when he was grabbing baby wipes one by one out of the wipe box as if he was going to use them), he will steal your heart (as he has mine) and he will be worth all the training and time needed for him to be a well mannered dog. He is very eager to learn and even with his protests, he does want to please you. He deserves the best home out there...

Though I know he will find his forever home, i will be sad when he isn't here.. I will miss him and all his craziness... even in the frustrating moments! But who is perfect? Noone! Not me, not the kiddos and not the dogs! :)

I look forward also to fostering more dogs after him and will take all I learned with him with us on our fostering journey... not only has this experience benefited Brutus (as he isn't on the streets, in a shelter or worse) but has benefited me in learning as much as I can about the whole rewarding (and yes sometimes frustrating) experience of fostering.

No comments:

Post a Comment